Monday, March 29, 2010

The Beatles' tax-man prophecy ~ By Joseph Farah

Joseph asks, "how long will it be before government figures out a way to tax our feet?" I think we actually now know the answer to that one. Think ObamaCare.
Who would have imagined in 1966 we'd actually be taxing the heat?

Who could have imagined it?

How long will it be before government figures out a way to tax our feet?
By Joseph Farah

Posted: March 27, 2010 ~ 1:00 am Eastern

© 2010



In 1966, George Harrison of the Beatles wrote a song that seemed, well, a little absurd to most of us.

It was called "Tax Man."

The Beatles had recently been propelled into the nouveau riche stratosphere by their global success – still unprecedented to this day in pop music.

But they were evidently surprised at how much of their wealth was seized by government.

So they wrote an angry protest song unlike most of the protest songs of that era.

It wasn't about war.

It wasn't about civil rights.

It wasn't about nuclear proliferation.

Instead, it was about the mean old government confiscating people's wealth.
Let me tell you how it will be;
There's one for you, nineteen for me.
'Cause I'm the taxman,
Yeah, I'm the taxman.

Should 5 per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I don't take it all.
'Cause I'm the taxman,
Yeah, I'm the taxman.
Today, more of us can relate – maybe, in fact, about 50 percent of Americans, those who pay taxes so that the other 50 percent don't have to pay them.

However, that's not the point of my story.

I recently heard this song, again, in a whole new light.

I heard something I never noticed before after listening to this song a thousand times.
If you drive a car, car, I'll tax the street;
If you try to sit, sit, I'll tax your seat;
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat;
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.
Obviously, the Beatles were using hyperbole to make a point – illustrating absurdity by being absurd, as Rush Limbaugh would put it.

Tax the street?

Well not so absurd, after all. In fact, government has always used tolls to tax streets. Today governments are literally selling off public roadways built with taxpayer dollars to private companies to maintain them with expanded use of tolls.

Tax your seat?

The county where I live has a property tax on office equipment used in the home. So, literally, government officials want to tax the seat I use to conduct business.

But check out the next line.

Who could have imagined in 1966 that government would actually figure out ways to "tax the heat"? How preposterous must that have sounded 44 years ago? Pretty preposterous, as I recall. In fact, that's why I never before connected this lyric with what we're actually experiencing today.

Isn't that what the phony carbon tax schemes are all about?

My point?

Forty-four years ago, who could have imagined that George Harrison's "Tax Man" nightmare would literally become a reality?


READ FULL STORY at WorldNetDaily.com

Bookmark and Share

Be sure to check out johnny2k's Tea Party Gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment