Friday, February 12, 2010

Pocketful of Miracles ~ By Julie Fredrickson


(Reprinted in full with Julie's permission. Some editing done by John Kubicek)
JULIE fREDERICKSON
By Julie Fredrickson


Thursday, February 11, 2010, @ 1:39am

I hit the threshold of Barnes and Noble with one thing in mind and a smiling clerk greeted me as if she was sure I was the one that had just called looking for a pocket size version of our Constitution of the United States.

“Were you the one that just called looking for this”? She asked as I glanced around. “You found it!” I said, excited that they had it in stock. I turned it over to check out the price. Three dollars and ninety-nine cents, a bargain! We chatted for a few minutes and I learned that she was a fourth grade teacher who loves teaching it in her History lessons.

“Why do we have to learn all those rules?” her class would moan, “It’s too long and it’s too hard”!

I could imagine her saying to them, “Be patient, by the end of the year we'll be putting these principles in action right here in our classroom”.

She said she loved it when later on they would recite it back to her with their arms waving in the air over the smallest of disagreements. They would proceed to argue over who would make up the three branches of government and not surprisingly everyone always wanted to be part of the Judicial branch and settle disagreements.

Behind us I heard a man clear his throat. He had obviously overheard our conversation. He was a nice looking man with a huge grin on this face. He commented, “The ones I see the politicians pulling out on talk shows look leather”.

I laughed and said, "That’s because they’re probably furnished to them by their respective parties." He nodded in agreement and politely asked the clerk if she could point him towards another copy. A few minutes later as I was browsing, I overheard the same pleasant man visiting with someone else an aisle over in the History section. I hoped at this point they had an ample supply of copies.

I left the store feeling excited that I had my own copy of a national treasure. It’s amazing to me that a document written by our early leaders so long ago can still inspire us to have faith in God, our country and our future. It truly is a pocket full of miracles.


See this on Julie's Facebook Notes page

Julie bought a shirt from this sponsor.
Maybe you should, too!

Don't be afraid!
WE the PEOPLE
are the MOB
ONE NATION UNDER GOD
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
johnny2k's Tea Party Gear



No comments:

Post a Comment