Thursday, April 02, 2009

Legalizing Marijuana: A Conservative Stance

From The Liberal Heretic Posted by: punx on April 1st, 2009
I have to admit, I have kicked this story idea around for a considerable time. Many of the things I write are in direct opposition to my party’s views, and although I’m no different than anyone else in hoping something I write is given accolades by the people I hope support me, I occasionally find myself in rough waters when something I agree with goes against what I’m told I should believe as a conservative. This is one of those articles. When I was 15, I decided to smoke pot with some friends. I wasn’t that impressed at first, although I had the urge to eat several hot dogs and almost an entire chocolate cake by myself. Later, I found that those things don’t mix and spent the night throwing up. But I wasn’t deterred. In my mid 20’s, I decided to give it another go. This time, I flipped out with what I would term a pretty bad anxiety attack. After that, I decided perhaps this wasn’t for me. Yet the people I know who do smoke it as an occasional substitute for drinking laugh, and joke around, and, ok, I admit, they eat a lot, too. I suspect things like Twinkies and Ding Dongs never tasted so good. They’re mellow, they never fight, they never develop beer muscles, or in this case, pot muscles. I wondered why, so I thought maybe I should look into some statistics on marijuana use and it’s health hazards, since the fact that it’s illegal seems to be a silly thing to me. But I could be wrong. Now don’t read too much into that. The first thing I wondered is how many deaths are caused by what is legal. In no way am I advocating to outlaw them, but I was still curious. I suspect some of these statistics will surprise a lot of people, as it did me. [Continue reading]
digg story ~ Submitted by lizbett

No comments:

Post a Comment