Saturday, February 14, 2009

What Do You Do With Writer's Block and Idea Gridlock?

By Lewis Green Scream. Pray. Read. Reach out to others. Drink. Take a nap. Drive. Take time off. Run. Physical labor. I have tried each of those among a variety of other techniques. They each work sometimes and the results vary. But here's the story that works best for me. I started writing professionally at age 16, when I got a stringer job covering my high school's varsity sports. What was weird was that I played varsity football and basketball and was the co-captain of the varsity baseball team. So my first job presented challenges--how do I cover something in which I am a participant and still be objective? Well, you can't really, and that was a good lesson learned. Therefore, I focused on the facts and weaved those facts into a first-person account in which I saw the games played from outside myself. [Continue reading]
digg story, submitted by lewis8

No comments:

Post a Comment