Friday, October 09, 2009

Ayers at Starbucks ~ By Jack Cashill

From WorldNetDaily
Jack CashillBy Jack Cashill Posted: October 08, 2009 ~ 1:00 am Eastern © 2009 I write this two weeks after Christopher Andersen, author of the new best-seller "Barack and Michelle: Portrait of An American Marriage," told Sean Hannity that Bill Ayers did indeed lend a major assist to the writing of Barack Obama's acclaimed 1995 memoir, "Dreams From My Father." It is not as if Andersen just mentioned this in passing. He spends six pages on it. It is not as if Andersen has a bone to pick with the president. He seems to love the guy. It is not as if Andersen has a reputation for reckless journalism. Au contraire! He is a pro with a proven track record. As I write, however, I still await the first mention of this – the most consequential literary scandal of our time – in print anywhere within the United States, including, alas, in our own very respectable conservative media. Bizarrely, this is a bigger story in Zaire, whose major media have covered it fairly, than in New York or Washington. Go figure. While I wait, I take consolation in knowing that oxygen pumps freely through the blogosphere and the airwaves of AM radio. Happily, the reporters who labor therein, usually on their own dime, have not yet decayed into the walking media dead Tom Wolfe once famously described as "tiny mummies." Kudos, in particular, to Chicagoan Anne Leary, a Harvard grad and the chief cook and bottle washer at BackyardConservative.com. On Monday of this week, Leary was heading back to the Midwest when she ran into none other than professor Bill Ayers at the Reagan National Airport Starbucks. To prove the encounter, Leary shot a picture of Ayers on her Blackberry and posted his image. "An instant blight," she calls him. "Scruffy, thinning beard, dippy earring, and the wirerims." "What are you doing in D.C., Mr. Ayers?" she asked respectfully. Ayers told her he was giving a lecture in Arlington to a Renaissance group on education. The conference theme, by the way, was "A Time for Reflection, Celebration and Rebirth." Writes Leary, "How touching. At best, useless, at worst, so wrong." U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan was also in attendance. Trying to assess her sympathies, Ayers continued, "You shouldn't believe everything you hear about me. You know nothing about me." "I know plenty," said the admirably brazen Leary. "I'm from Chicago, a conservative blogger, and I'll post this." At this point, the encounter turned totally weird. Out of the blue, Ayers said to Leary, "I wrote 'Dreams From My Father.'" "Oh," Leary replied. "So you admit it." "Michelle [Obama] asked me to," he answered with a straight face. [CLICK HERE TO READ MORE]
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment